ROASTED PEPPER “CAPRESSE”
- 3 lb. mixed bell peppers and chiles (any more than 2 hot chiles and the peppers will end up too spicy), large peppers seeded, cut off of cores into quarters
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. fresh mozzarella
- Basil leaves (for serving)
- 1 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
1) Preheat the oven to 325°. Toss peppers, chiles, garlic, and oil in a Dutch oven or heavy roasting pan; season with salt and pepper and toss again to coat. Cover and roast, tossing occasionally, until peppers are very tender, about 2 to 2½ hours. After that let them cool.
2) Arrange half of the peppers on a platter. Top peppers with mozzarella and basil. Measure out 3 Tbsp. of the oily juices left behind and transfer to a small bowl (save remaining peppers and their juices for another use).
3) Add vinegar; season with salt. Stir to combine, then drizzle dressing over salad.