Delicious Make-ahead Breakfast Ideas
We can’t deny that breakfast is probably the most important meal of the day. It’s that food that goes directly into our “gas tank” and fills us up with energy to start the day. In spite of this, many people skip breakfast because they simply don’t have the time to prep it correctly, or they might turn to granola bars and other less-nutritious options. Here are some great ideas of make-ahead breakfasts so you won’t ever skip breakfast again.
1. Make-ahead baked Greek omelet
This easy and fancy recipe combines eggs with spinach and feta cheese, as well as other ingredients such as fresh dill, sweet red pepper and even a dollop of Dijon mustard to add a subtle tangy taste. Mix these ingredients together and toss them in an oven pan to cook and you can simply reheat it the morning after.
2. Cinnamon rolls
If you’re a total sweet tooth and need a sugar fix first thing in the morning, we have the perfect homemade cinnamon roll recipe. The main ingredients are simply butter, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, self-rising flour, whole milk and a bit of powdered sugar to make your own icing too. Whisk the ingredients together and form the dough, then put it in the oven and wait for your delicious cinnamon rolls to be ready. Find the full recipe here.
3. Crock pot breakfast casserole
One of the best things about crock pots is that you can literally make your breakfast at night and wake up to the delicious smell of a freshly cooked meal. Aside from the classic eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper ingredients; you can also add pieces of cut up ham, shredded potato, chopped bell pepper, onion, spinach and shredded cheddar cheese.
4. French toast casseroleInstead of using ordinary bread, this recipe starts with a crusty sourdough loaf being torn apart. Whisk together eggs, heavy cream, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and pecans or walnuts to fill up the casserole. Take the pieces of loaf and toss them in a baking dish, then pour the mixture over the bread and put it in the oven to cook.
5. Overnight oats with jam and toasted coconutFor those who have the habit of taking their breakfast on the go or the moment they get to the office, overnight oats are the perfect solution. Simply pour 2 cups of traditional rolled oats in a jar, 2 cups of milk of your choice, 1 cup of jam and unsweetened toasted coconut flakes. Let it sit for the whole night and by morning it’ll be ready to be eaten while you go to work or before you rush out the door.
6. Eggnog breakfast bread puddingWho doesn’t enjoy eggnog during the holiday season? Take advantage of this product being in stores and make-ahead a delicious breakfast you’ll want to have all year long. Simply get your hands on some brioche bread and cut it into 1-inch-thick slices. Mix unsalted butter, eggs, eggnog, milk, granulated sugar, bourbon or vanilla extract, a bit of salt and powdered sugar to serve. Make this like any other casserole and enjoy it warm the next morning.
7. Make-ahead ham & cheese breakfast casseroleA classic of classics, ham and cheese is a majestic combination when it comes to breakfast. If you want to keep things simple and make this casserole simply mix eggs, your favorite cheese and thick cubes of ham, all seasoned with your favorites (salt, pepper, onion, thyme, nutmeg, dry mustard).
As you can see, making breakfast the night before can be the best idea for you and your family. Not only will you have more time, it’ll be a beautiful surprise to wake up and have a complete and filling meal waiting to be eaten.