SLOW COOKER TURKEY BREAST
INGREDIENTS-4 lbs / 2 kg turkey breast, skin on, bone in or boneless (if using frozen, thaw it)
-1 head of garlic, cut in half horizontally
-1 onion (brown, yellow or white), unpeeled, cut in half
-5 sprigs of thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme leaves)
For the rub:
-1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1 1/2 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp paprika
-2 tsp salt
-5 grinds of black pepper
-1 1/2 - 2 tbsp olive oil
For the gravy:
-Chicken stock/broth (or water), for topping up liquid (see Gravy step 1)
-4 tbsp / 50g butter
-1/4 cup / 35g flour
-Salt and pepper
1) Place Rub ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine, it should be a wet paste.
2) Pat the turkey dry all over with paper towels. Slather with the Rub, using most for the side and top.
3) Place the garlic, onion and thyme face down in the slow cooker. Place the turkey breast on top so it is elevated.
4) Slow Cook on LOW for 6 hours (do not use high) or until the internal temperature reads 165F/75C when the thermometer is inserted into the middle. Check the internal temperature at 5 hours if you can. (To roast, follow this recipe).
5) Remove the turkey from the slow cooker (do not leave it in the slow cooker on Warm setting) and let it rest for 20 minutes before crisping the skin.
CRISP THE SKIN:
6) Preheat gril/broiler to high.
7) Place an oven shelf 30cm / 1 foot from the heat source.
8) Remove turkey breast from the slow cooker into a heatproof serving dish.
9) Place on the oven shelf and broil for 3 to 5 minutes until the skin is crispy. Keep an eye on it - it browns very quickly!
10) Serve immediately with gravy on the side.
11) Strain the liquid into a measuring jug, squishing the garlic etc to extract all the flavour. If you are short of 2 cups, top up with chicken broth (I usually get 2 cups of liquid from a 4 lb / 2 kg turkey breast).
12) Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix to combine. Pour about 1/2 cup of liquid into the flour mixture and mix until it forms a paste. Slowly add remaining liquid, stirring as you go. Use a whisk if required to make the gravy smooth. Simmer until thickened - take it off before it is as thick as you want because it will continue to thicken.
13) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with turkey.