TIRAMISU (ITALIAN DESSERT)
-1 cup strong coffee
-¼ cup dark rum divided
-3 large egg yolks
-½ cup granulated sugar divided
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-8 ounces 1 cup mascarpone cheese, chilled
-¾ cup heavy cream
-24 ladyfinger cookies ( or a 7 ounce package)
-2 tablespoons cocoa powder for dusting
1) In a large bowl combine coffee and 2 tablespoons of rum (optional, you can change it for more coffee). Add egg yolks, 2 tablespoons rum (or other 2 tablespoons of coffee), ¼ cup of sugar, and vanilla into a medium heatproof bowl.
2) Set the bowl on top of a saucepan filled with about 1-inch of water. Bring the water to barely a simmer, making sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
3) Whisk the egg mixture until it is light and foamy, and about triple in volume, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese to the egg mixture and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy cream and ¼ cup sugar on medium speed until medium peaks form.
5) Carefully fold ⅓ of the whipped cream mixture into the mascarpone mixture. Add the remaining whipped cream, and fold until just combined.
6) After that, dip enough ladyfingers to cover the bottom of an 8-inch square dish. Feel free to arrange the cookies anyways that they best fit in the dish.
7) Add half of the mascarpone mixture to the dish and evenly spread over the dipped ladyfingers. Dip the remaining ladyfingers in the coffee, arrange on top of the cheese mixture.
8) Spread the remaining mascarpone cheese over the ladyfingers in an even layer.
9) Sprinkle some of the cocoa powder evenly over the tiramisu. Clean the edges of the dish. Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 2 days. Sprinkle it with more cocoa powder right before serving.