- 4 medium tomatoes with firm walls
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or other cheese of your choice)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted salted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) To prepare the tomatoes, you have to slice them in half horizontally around the equator and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and more. Be careful not to puncture the walls of the tomato.
3) Place empty tomato halves in a casserole dish and season with salt and pepper. Discard the seeds and the tomato water. Chop the flesh and set aside for the stuffing.
4) To make the stuffing, in a bowl, add the mozzarella cheese (or other of your choice), 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese, basil, breadcrumbs, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper and stir until combined.
5) Using two spoons, fill the tomato halves with the stuffing. Sprinkle filled tomatoes with the remaining parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
6) Bake for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender, then broil on high for 1 minute until the filling begins to bubble and brown. Then serve it hot on your board.