(For 12 small panettones)
-2 packages active dry yeast
-1 cup lukewarm water
-8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
-5 extra-large eggs
-1/2 cup sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
-5 to 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons salt
-2 cups dried cranberries
-1 cup sliced almonds
1) Line a standard-size cupcake pan with parchment paper. Cut the parchment paper to measure 1 inch above the sides of the pan to form a collar. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the lukewarm water. Set aside for later.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer and a large bowl), combine the butter, 4 of the eggs, the sugar, and the zest. Mix until well blended. Gradually add 4 cups of the flour and the salt. Stir in the cranberries and almonds.
4) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough, adding the remaining 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour as needed to make a soft dough.
5) Place the dough into a large buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.