RED VELVET CUPCAKES
INGREDIENTS-3 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-3 large eggs, at room temperature
-3/4 cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter
-2¼ cups granulated white sugar
-A dash of vanilla extract
-2 tablespoons red food coloring
-1½ cups buttermilk
-2 teaspoons baking soda
-2 teaspoons white vinegar
For the frosting:-8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
-1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2) In a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder and salt, and then set aside.
3) In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and vanilla, after that beat until combined. One at a time, add the eggs; beat on medium speed after each. Also beat in the food coloring on low.
4) Alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the egg mixture; beat on low-medium after each just until combined. In a small bowl, stir together the baking soda and vinegar. Add to the batter; beat just until combined.
5) Fill the cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Gently remove the cupcakes from the pans and let it cool.
For the frosting:
1) Place the softened butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment. Beat the butter and cream cheese together until homogenous and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.
2) Add the vanilla extract, salt, and powdered sugar and whip to combine. After about a minute of mixing, use a rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl and beat for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
3) Once that your frosting is ready, put it on top of your cupcakes and place them on the board.