INGREDIENTS- 1.2 kg / 2.4 lb pumpkin (any type) OR butternut squash , unpeeled weight
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , peeled whole
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable or chicken broth/stock , low sodium
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup (125 - 185 ml) cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS1) Cut the pumpkin into 3cm / 2.25" slices. Cut the skin off and scrape seeds out. Cut into 4cm / 1.5" chunks.
2) Place the pumpkin, onion, garlic, broth and water in a pot - liquid won't quite cover all the pumpkin. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat and let simmer rapidly until pumpkin is tender (check with butter knife) - about 10 minutes.
3) Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until smooth (Note 3 for blender).
4) Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir through cream (never boil soup after adding soup, cream will split).
5) Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle over a bit of cream, sprinkle with pepper and parsley if desired. Serve with crusty bread!