LAYERED CREPE CAKE
INGREDIENTSFor crepe batter:
-4 large eggs
-4 cups milk of choice
-2/3 cups sugar white (or any granulated)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-3 tbsp butter melted
For the chocolate cream:
-2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
-1/2 cup powdered sugar
-4 tablespoons cocoa
For the chocolate ganache:
-2 Cups dark chocolate, chopped
-1 cup heavy whipping cream
-3 tbsp butter
INSTRUCTIONSTo make crepe batter:
1) Add all the ingredients apart from the melted butter into a blender (or use an electric mixer) and blend until smooth. Let it sit for at least an hour.
2) Place a non-stick pan over medium- low heat, allow it to heat up and brush it with melted butter. Using a ladle or a measuring cup (1/4 cup is the ideal), pour the batter onto the frying pan and make a round shape, making sure the crepe batter coats the entire bottom of the frying pan.
3) Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, then flip over to the other side and cook for further 30 seconds (or until golden). Then repeat with the remaining batter.
To make chocolate cream and the chocolate ganache:
1) For the chocolate cream, using a hand mixer, whip the cream in a large bowl until you get stiff peaks. Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder and fold until fully incorporated. Place in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
2) For the ganache, place the chocolate and cream in a bowl over a small pan of simmering water and allow it to melt, and then stir it until smooth. Add 3 tbsp of butter, mix to combine all together.
Time to assemble the cake:
1) Spread a thin layer of chocolate cream on a cake board or large plate. Lay down your first crepe and top it up with a thin layer of chocolate cream. Spread thin, even layer of chocolate cream to the very edge of your crepe then press a second crepe on top.
2) Repeat with the rest of the crepes and chocolate cream, leaving the last crepe on top without chocolate cream spread. Place in the fridge for about an hour, allowing it to firm up a bit.
3) Remove cake from the fridge. As an optional step, using a serrated knife, trim the edges around until you have a clean circle.
4) Use any remaining chocolate cream to coat the outside of the cake and fill any gaps you may have on the sides. Place the cake back in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5) Remove cake from the fridge and pour the ganache over the top and the sides of the cake. Allow the ganache to set before placing the cake on a board and enjoy!