KUNG PAO CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS- 1/4 c. soy sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp. rice wine (or white wine)
- 3 tsp. cornstarch, divided
- 1 lb. chicken breast, chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. garlic chili paste
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/3 c. Chopped peanuts
INSTRUCTIONS1) In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, rice wine and 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Whisk until smooth then add the chicken and toss to coat. Marinate 15 minutes.
2) Make sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch, chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and garlic chili paste. Whisk until evenly combined.
3) In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add chicken and cook until golden and almost cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4) Add more oil, if necessary, and add the bell pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
5) Return chicken to the skillet and pour in sauce. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a low simmer. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.
6) Stir in green onions and peanuts. Serve immediately.