Homemade Horchata of Valencian Tiger Nut
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE HOMEMADE HORCHATA
2 cups of tiger nut
8 cups of water
1/2 cup sugar
Optional: dash of ground cinnamon when serving
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE HORCHATA
- The night before you want to make it, soak the tiger nuts in water. For 24 hours, keep changing the water until the water comes out clean.
- The next day, crush the tiger nuts with the water and sugar in a blender.
- Now you have to pass it through a fine mesh strainer. Press well so that all the juices come out of the tiger nut and gradually remove any impurities that it may have.
- The resulting puree still has many impurities, and you will need to pass it through a nylon mesh cloth strainer. Squeeze very well until all the juice is obtained without any impurity.
- At this point, add the sugar. You can taste and adjust the sugar to your liking. If you want it sweeter, then put a little more sugar and crush the horchata.
- Keep in the fridge to cool until ready to serve.